- About Us
- Support Us
- Support Us
- Ways to give money
- NERS SHOP
- Fundraise for NERS
- Sell things on ebay for charity
- Donate books & other items
- Donate old phones & empty ink catridges
- Give a Car
- Shop online through easyfundraising portal
- Donate Clothes to Clothes for Charity
- Press Releases
- Insight into Asylum
- Training, Research, & Statistics
- Local Information
- Ners Policy Documents
- Join us online
- Log In
North East Aid for Calais (Organisation separate from North of England Refugee Service)
Organisation separate from North of England Refugee Service
Collection for Calais
Please read this post for information about how to assist us in our efforts to take aid from the North East of England to the refugees in Calais.
We think this post should answer all of your questions but please do contact us if it doesn’t.
***If you are not in the North East of England we’re sorry but we can’t collect your items***
You are still welcome to donate to our crowdfunder, of course. If you have a look on Facebook at ‘Calais – People to People Solidarity – Action from UK’ and ‘CalAid’ you should be able to find a group that is near to you or you can set one up! Thank you.
We are planning a trip from the North East to Calais on September 18th to deliver the aid we have collected.
NO COLLECTIONS/ DROP-OFFS WILL BE POSSIBLE AFTER THURSDAY 10TH SEPTEMBER. This is to enable us to sort the items and pack them in vans for the trip.
We will update this post as things change (e.g. in terms of what items are needed or different collection points) and will also advertise here for other ways in which you can help.
There are various ways in which you can help us:
1) Make a financial contribution
Donate to our crowdfunding page to help us raise funds to take the aid to Calais:
2) Collect items for us. A list of what items are most needed is below. Please note that we can no longer accept women’s and children’s clothing and toys. These are not currently needed in the camp and they do not have the capacity to store these items and we will not have room for them in our vans. Women’s and children’s items that have already been collected will be passed on to refugees living in the North East. If you do have these items it may be worth making links to local organisations that work with refugees to see if you can donate the items there. Thank you.
3) Drop off your items at a collection point. Details of our collection points across the North East can be found below.
4) Volunteer to help with collections – PM Shah Lalon Amin or Jenni Yuill to do so
5) Share information about the group and the JustGiving page to as many of your friends and family as possible and continue to spread the word about the plight of the refugees in Calais.
6) Volunteer to help us with salvage at Leeds Festival 31st August/ 1st September. If you can help and have transport please PM Caroline Reina de Coraones before Wed 26th August.
7) Help us find space for sorting our collections before we load them into the vans – we are looking for a large space, possibly a warehouse for 11th – 18th September. Please contact Shah Lalon Amin or Jenni Yuill if you can help.
8) Volunteer to sort collections into boxes and load vans between 11-18 September. Please contact Jenni Yuill or Shah Lalon Amin if you can help.
9) Help us find a van / vans to borrow! If you know anyone who could loan us vehicles this would mean we would not have to pay for vehicle hire and therefore would have more money to spend on items for the refugees. Please PM Mo Abuzahra or Shah Lalon Amin if you can help.
1) FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS
Please share this page!!!
2) COLLECTIONS - ITEMS NEEDED:
NO WOMEN'S OR CHILDREN'S CLOTHING OR TOYS PLEASE
• Clothing – Please keep in mind it's nearly winter and we will need warm clothing and we are desperate for male clothing
Jackets - urgent (no wool coats)
Hats, gloves, scarves
Underwear – especially women’s (pants that can be used with sanitary towels are needed rather than strings/ thongs)
Please note we can no longer take children’s clothes and toys. The main clothes that we need are warm practical clothes for men
• Shoes - MOST URGENT
PLEASE, make sure that shoes are sporty, trainers or walking shoes, no city leather shoes, no heels, no wellies! We need mostly men’s shoes, but women’s trainers are fine too and can be given to boys as well.
• Shelter and living
Tents – urgently, big sized tents are best as people like to live together, and they can allow standing up.
Thick plastic sheeting – mainly used for agriculture (they make shelters from this)
Tarps and groundsheets – again to build shelters, the bigger the better.
Sleeping bags, blankets and duvets – urgent
Mattresses, sleeping mats
Coleman type stoves
Pots, pans, kettle (not electric as they don’t have this) – some people are making up packages with a couple of pans, plastic plates/cups, sponge and cleaning products
CANDLES NEEDED DESPERATELY
With regards to tents we will be delighted for anything we can get, although due to the weather and the constant use strong/heavy/canvas/army type would last far longer
Unisex hygiene kits containing toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shower gel, body lotion
Disposable razors (cheap ones and don’t include these in the wash bag)
Please note we no longer require sanitary pads – the women’s centre now has plenty thanks to kind donations. All that have been donated here will be given to refugee women in the North East
All non-perishable food – TINNED kidney beans, white beans, chick-peas, peas and carrots, green beans (no tinned pasta)
Rice, flour, (little or no pasta, NO couscous, NO bulgur, NO oatmeal)
Oil, LOTS of oil
Tomatoes in all forms (sauce, paste), LOTS of it
Long Life milk
Cleaning products – washing up liquid, washing powder
BIN BAGS – urgently needed!!!
• You can also prepare bags in advance with about the same items in each bag (Please don’t mix food and toiletries in the same bag!) Bin bags and boxes are both fine and if you are able to label them this will really help with our sorting!
2) COLLECTION POINTS:
For Teesside collections and drop offs contact Jenni Yuill (07753 112934)
Please contact Jolande Mace on 07767 155589 for address
Items can be dropped off at any time Wednesday 26 and Thur 27 August.
Please message Nicola Scarr (07477 600019) for address
Please contact Justin on 07854834012
Please contact Lizzie Donaghy on 07761 279442
Tuesday 1st September 2.30pm - 6pm
St Thomas More Presbytery
• NORTH YORKSHIRE:
Please contact Anna Forbes for drop off point address (07969 303853)
Please contact Aimee Bennett Corcoran on 07929481290
• STOCKTON –
Monday 24th August, 6-8pm
Tuesday 1st September, 6-8pm
Only available during these times
Email email@example.com with queries
St Patrick’s Church
STOCKTON - PORTRACK/ WHITEWATER GLADE AREA –
Contact Heidi Roper on 07495 060674
• BLAYDON -
Please contact Sarah Adotey (07772 033630) for drop-off address
• BYKER –
Please contact Lisa Rutherford, 51 Raby St, NE6 2FA (07927 065203)
• CHESTER LE STREET
Contact Katie Bennett
07739173679 for drop off point
• GATESHEAD –
Please contact Nicole Richardson for drop-off address (07516 038684)
Blackhall Mill area -
Please contact Karen Scott (01207560870) for drop-off address
• HEBBURN and JARROW
• LAWE TOP:
Call Lalon on
Contact Kate Stewart (07772 540777)
WEST END - Contact Imran Ahmed (07967 594406)
CITY CENTRE -
(facing Northumbria University on Shieldfield Green, next to Christ Church School)
Contact Caroline Reina de Corazones (07958 137274)
Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm
Collection box at:
Commercial Union House, 3rd floor to the right
39 Pilgrim Street (across the street from Tyneside Cinema)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
GOSFORTH/ KINGSTON PARK/ FAWDON:
Lynda Rutherford (07708 424882)
• NORTH SHIELDS -
Please contact Layla Rumsey (07812 417302)
• SOUTH SHIELDS –
Mon – Thurs 5pm-7pm
South Tyneside Jaame Mosque
3 Baring Street
Contact Shah Lalon Amin (07477 600019)
• SOUTH TYNESIDE –
Please contact Mo Abuzahra (07900 234104)
• SUNDERLAND –
Sunderland Bangladesh International Centre
28 Tatham Street
Office hours only
Please contact Taff Hussein (07946 180890)
• WALLSEND –
Please contact Jessica Griffiths via Facebook or at Jessie_tree2001@hotmail.com to arrange a drop off.
Please contact Elaine Francis
on Facebook or on 07939 445159 for drop off address
• WESTOE CROWN VILLAGE:
Please contact Christine Dorward (07415630662) for address
• WHITLEY BAY –
Small items for donation can be dropped off at the Cedarwood Trust Monday – Thursday from 10m -4pm (clothing and hygiene products, etc. No tents please!)
43 Avon Ave
Tyne and Wear
3-6pm Friday 20th August
Monday 24th August/ Tuesday 25th August 4-6pm:
Big Local Shop
Park View Road
Contact Sharon (07702168286)